4 Rivers Smokehouse describes itself as, "a sophisticated Texas-style smokehouse that is re-defining the art of smoking one brisket at a time."
This is a good thing because there are severe penalties for improper smoking and barbecuing in the great state of Texas — one of which is having to remain in Texas henceforth. We all know barbecuing truly is like art: lots of people can draw, but not everyone can be Michelangelo. Most of us will never produce a masterpiece. But every word of mouth review I've heard since 4 Rivers Smokehouse opened their doors this past June in Jacksonville has been the highest of praise. Some even going as far as calling it "the best barbecue restaurant ON THE PLANET!"
- Amazing brisket. They're known for their 18-hour smoked angus brisket, and it didn't disappoint.
- BYOB? This is up for debate, but our friend said that you can bring your own alcohol in since they don't sale any. So, we did. We just made sure to sit outside where we would be less conspicuous.
- A LOT of side items. I can attest the cheese grit cake, fried okra, and sweet potato casserole are GREAT.
- Very competitive pricing. I was expecting to pay a high premium for the amount of food received. Our trip cost less than a visit to Sonny's BBQ and we were provided with much more high quality food.
- They don't serve alcohol!
- The line was LONG. However, we moved through relatively quickly.
- Don't expect privacy. Their seating is more "community" seating with long tables that seat many together.
- TOO many side items. This isn't really a bad thing, but considering every single one looked amazing, it was hard to pick and choose. Guess we'll have to go back for another visit.
- Speaking of sides, the fried pickles were just okay. I'm used to getting fresh fried pickles from our local wing joint. These seem like they had been out of the fryer for a while. The smokehouse corn was too salty, even for my taste.
- They were out of two of the sides I REALLY wanted: mac & cheese and the Texas cornbread.
- The cake I ordered for dessert was extremely dry and not moist at all. Stick to BBQ.
Mon-Thurs: 11am to 8pm
Fri & Sat: 11am to 9pm
9220 Baymeadows Road
Jacksonville, FL 32256